Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Spirit and the Bride Say, "Come"

     I feel deeply moved when I think of the world these days, specifically the world amidst the backdrop of the Gospel. The hopelessness of the world's hostility towards God and the claims of Scripture inspire great grief in my heart. I feel an intense sorrow that the creature spurns and rejects the Creator, and that that for which we are all made is that which we despise and want nothing to do with.
     There is nowhere that the light of Christ has not revealed itself. John 1:9-11 says, "The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him." That the Son of Man, who is our peace, should be scorned and despised dismays me to the utmost. Now, it does not elicit a desire in me for reprisal or a longing for vengeance, or anything of the sort- only heartache due to the hatred of Christ and to the self-condemnation of the world.
     It makes me long for eternity at times that I may at last experience the perfect reconciliation of all reality with God and the joy of sinlessness and perfect communion with Him. I am in a strait between two worlds. I have one foot in the world that is and one foot in the world that is to be, but my desire for that world to be is not mere escapism from weariness here and now. Rather, I long for the consummation of the created order and the fulfillment of God's purpose in history, through which all strivings shall at last cease. Though God has granted me innumerable blessings here and now, I know that these are signposts pointing to the age to come when nothing and no one can ever be an idol again, when God will be glorified and enjoyed by His people with the infinite capacity that He alone possesses to glorify and enjoy Himself, and I say, "Come, Lord Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment